1. The Venn diagram visually displays which WHI study components are represented in the group of selected participants. See WHI Study Participation below for more details.
2. WHI Study Participation: Select which study components you would like to allow, require, or exclude.
See About WHI - Design and Protocol for details about the Observational Study (OS) and Clinical Trials (CT).
Participants in the OS do not overlap with the participants in the CT.
The three Clinical Trials include the (1) Hormone Therapy (HT) Trial, (2) Diet Modification (DM) Trial and (3) the Calcium/Vitamin D (CaD) trial. Participants may be in one, two or all three of the Clinical Trials. Participants could only be in the CaD Trial if they were already enrolled in the HT and/or the DM Trials. By using the allow/require/exclude buttons you can limit the overlap combinations to only those you want. The Venn diagram at the top of the page will changed based on your selection.
Example: To select HT participants that were not enrolled in CaD you would require HT participation, but exclude CaD (see picture below). As the Venn diagram below illustrates, all of the selected participants were in the HT. Some will overlap with the DM, but the HT participants that were also part of the CaD trial are excluded. OS participants are excluded in this example because there is no overlap between the OS and the CT.
3. Clinical Trial Arms: You can limit the Clinical Trial participants based on trial arm (active vs. control). This feature is not available for all levels of Query Builder access. Please contact the Help Desk if you have questions.
4. Extension Participation: You have the option of limiting the query to specific extension participation. If you do not wish to make this limitation, leave this section blank.
5. Cohort/Subsample: You have the option of limiting the query to specific WHI cohorts or subsamples. If you do not wish to make this limitation, leave this section blank.
6. Negate: Press this button if you want to make the criteria you have selected NOT true. The Negate button is available on all criteria screens. To undo, simply click the "Undo Negation" button.
If you have additional questions that are not answered here, please contact the WHI help desk.