All WHI clinical outcomes were identified by self-report on the routine Form 33 - Medical History Update administered semi-annually to Clinical Trial (CT) participants and annually to Observational Study (OS) participants. Those participants who reported a potential WHI-defined outcome were then contacted by mail or phone and a Form 33D – Medical History Update (Detail) was completed to obtain more specific information on newly diagnosed health conditions or recent procedures.
Investigation of potential WHI clinical outcomes depended on the type of outcome, the participant’s study component, and whether or not the outcome was a first versus a recurrent event. A documentation set was defined for each type of WHI clinical outcome, and these medical records were used for adjudication.
For more information on WHI outcomes, please see the About WHI - Outcomes page.
1. Category: Select a category of outcome (Cancer, Death, Cardiovascular, Fracture).
2. Outcome: Select the site of the adjudicated outcome (e.g. colon, bladder, pelvis). Outcomes are listed by variable ID (the variable name in the investigator's dataset - see the Outcomes Data Dictionaries).
3. Description: The description of the outcome as provided in the Outcomes Data Dictionaries.
4. Search: enter key words into the search box to narrow your options.
5. Negate: Press this button if you want to make the criteria you have selected NOT true. The Negate button is available on all criteria screens. To undo, simply click the "Undo Negation" button.
Example: You want to select participants with an outcome of lung cancer.
1. Select Lung Cancer as an outcome.
2. You can search for "lung" in order to narrow down the options.
If you have additional questions that are not answered here, please contact the WHI help desk.